General Information


Getting help for car accident injuries: Things to know!

287 0

There is nothing scarier than a sudden car crash. Every state in the United States has its own set of laws governing auto accident cases and personal injury lawsuits. Some states, such as New York, are no-fault states, while others like Georgia follow a fault-based system. Right after an accident, call an attorney immediately. Call 911 and wait for the police to arrive at the scene. No matter how small your injuries may seem, you also need to see a car accident injury doctor too. You can check online to find personal injury doctors in your city. They can help in documenting your injuries and can give a fair idea of the treatment you need. 

Inform the police and document everything

Do not run away from the accident scene. In most states, there are laws that require drivers to report a car accident, if the accident caused injury, death or property damage. Make sure that you wait for the police to arrive. If the other driver tries to talk you out of calling the police or 911, remember that this could be a trap of sorts. Also, take your time to document whatever you can. Take contact details of other drivers and witnesses, take video footage of the scene, and as many photographs as you can. 

What kind of doctor or physician should you see? 

Don’t ignore your injuries after a car accident. More often than not, car accident injuries lead to spinal and neck injuries, which may not be immediately apparent. While you can go and meet your primary care doctor, your best bet is a doctor specializing in handling personal injury-related cases. Even your primary care physician will recommend you to a specialist, if they find or believe that the impact of your injuries is serious.  You can also consider seeing a neck & spine doctor directly. 

Meeting a car accident lawyer

In your best interests, and to know if you have a valid personal injury claim, consider meeting a car accident lawyer. An attorney can ensure that you get compensated for the losses you have suffered. In a no-fault state, you must file the car accident claim with your insurer first, but even for that, you need to negotiate things with the claims adjuster. 

If you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit, your attorney can work on legal aspects accordingly and can talk to your doctor to know more.